KEEP GRASS CLIPPINGS OUT OF THE STREET
When mowing your yard, try to minimize the amount of grass clippings blown or dumped in the street. Grass clippings should be left on the lawn after mowing so that the nutrients in the clippings can go back into the soil. One bushel of fresh grass clippings can contain 0.1 lbs of Phosphorus, enough to produce 30 – 50 pounds of algae in our streams and rivers. Grass clippings that are blown or washed into the street enter the street storm inlets, either plugging them or flowing downstream to streams.
Bagged grass clippings may be taken to the City’s Compost site. The compost site only accepts lawn waste such as grass clippings and leaves for composting. There is also a separate brush pile for other yard waste such as tree limbs and shrubs. It would be appreciated if all waste could be emptied from plastic bags. The compost site is located at the intersection of CTH Q and Bronson Blvd. and is open Monday and Thursday evenings from 4-7 pm and on Saturday afternoons from 12-4 pm.
STREET DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
The City of Fennimore Street Department has five full-time employees that work out of the street shop building located at 945 7th Street and can be contacted at 608-822-6017.
Responsibilities of the Street Division:
- Buildings & Grounds – Repair/maintenance of all City-owned buildings and small projects planning and construction.
- Responsible for the repair and maintenance of all Public Works and City equipment including fleet vehicles.
- Street Maintenance – 22 miles of street maintenance, pavement sweeping, snow removal and tree trimming.
- Traffic Signals & Signs – Responsible for the maintenance and repair of traffic signage throughout the City, pavement marking, construction traffic control, and barricading for City projects.
- Park Maintenance – Responsible for maintenance of the four city parks.
- Brush & Compost pickup.